Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Aside





Hey now, don't be sad, 
Just hold my hand, I won't let go
It's a new day, another chance to 
dry your eyes, we'll be alright 
So clear your mind and brush it all aside.

Sometimes things are sad 
and life just seems so out of hand.
You can find me, I'll be right here to
understand, we'll give it time
to heal our wounds and brush it all aside.

(from the album Fireworks, released by Holiday Records)

You should.. you must listen to that song, not only because it's completely wonderful, and stunning and incredible, (and has real fireworks in it!) but because I did the drawing while listening to that song (and the rest of the album, but mostly this one) and I think that now, the drawing needs the song to be completed. Maybe that's just me.

Well, this was done to thank Holiday Records their existence, for being them, and for releasing such wonderful music. 

I first had the idea of doing something (a drawing, mainly because that's the only way I know) when their web was all new and the "golen age" started, and everything seemed to be so sparkling and things, that I couldn't resist its power of attraction and try and do smth too. (I don't know if this sentence has sense at all, it does in my mind, though)


The thing is I had already in mind that I wanted somone looking through a window (a big one) late at night, while listening to the albums they have released, but I completely failed in doing anything I could actually accept if only as a sketch. So I kind of left the idea behind (don't you think I leave so many ideas on the make? yeah, I do too).
Then, they released the album Fireworks, by Travelogue, and the idea became something I could actually try to do, with the fireworks on the backround and everything.. at least I could try, so I tried. And after so many hours/days of struggle I did it.

And now, a fun fact, I spent like 4 hours with the fireworks. I found it really difficult, almost impossible, but then someone said "Painting starts with pain, so you'll have to suffer to get things done" and I kept fighting 'till I had fireworks the way I wanted them.

I don't know why I'm telling you all of this drawing struggle, I think that it's a way to reafirm to myself how difficult this one was for me (with the fireworks, the light, the album, the vinyl player, etc.) but that in the end, I made it. So please, feel free to not care at all of what I'm telling you, 'cause maybe it's just selfish and mean.


Getting back to the main point, thank you so much Holiday Records. I wanna keep drawing things inspired by the music you release.



No comments:

Post a Comment